THE LIST: MORNING BEAUTY’S TOP 10 NIGHT CREAMS
Overnight, the skin works to repair itself. Between 11pm and 4am, cell regeneration almost doubles, dead cells are buffed away and are gently replaced by new ones. Fine lines and wrinkles are softened, as well as blemishes and dark circles may brighten. That is why night creams and treatments should be used to maximize complexion’s natural healing process, which dramatically slows down as we age.
Choosing a night cream that suits your skin type and age is imperative though. For instance, if your complexion is oily and you are under 30, there is no point in using a product formulated for those with dry and mature skin. Checking out the list of ingredients is also helpful as it is wise to avoid alcohol or synthetic fragrances if your skin is sensitive or prone to redness. On the other hand, antioxidants, hyaluronic acid, retinol and niacinamide are unquestionably effective to fight wrinkles.
+ The List: Morning Beauty’s Top 10 Day Creams
Morning Beauty’s Editor tested over 20 night creams to bring you the 10 best. From the luxury new launch from La Prairie to budget-friendly Superfacialist by Úna Brennan, discover on the gallery below which products worth the investment:
- Brilliantly blended with glycolic acid, Alpha-H's Liquid Rejuvenating Cream (£51) drops skin's pH overnight to enhance its resilience, gently exfoliating it as well as accelerating cell turnover and stimulating the synthesis of collagen. Initially, it delivers a mild tingling sensation, yet it quickly settles down as complexion drinks it right away. The following morning, the skin looks incredibly brighter, firmer and smoother. Furthermore, it comes in an hygienic packaging where you don't need to dip your fingers inside the jar, which really helps to conserve its active ingredients and avoids contamination. Available at Cult Beauty and QVC UK ©Alpha-H
- Fresh scented, the Avocado Pear Nourishing Night Cream (£33), by Antipodes, is slightly thick, yet it promptly sinks on the skin, which is left visibly perkier. Also, it helps to reduce fine lines and wrinkles as it increases complexion's firmness. Naturally-delivered, it is enriched with manuka honey, grape seed and lecithin extracts, plus avocado, calendula, coconut and macadamia oils. It does not contain synthetic fragrances or preservatives. Available at Planet Organic, Selfridges and Whole Foods ©Antipodes
- As with its Cell Revitalise Day Moisturiser, Aurelia Probiotic Skincare's Cell Revitalise Night Moisturiser (£42) is an exquisitely blended whipped cream that suits all skin types, yet it fits utterly well those with sensive skin. Antioxidant-rich and packed with peptides and probiotics, it deeply hydrates, firms and soothes, plus it delivers an amazingly luminous complexion after just one application. Additionally, it smells divine thanks to an amalgam of lavender, neroli, rose and mandarin essential oils. Available at aureliaskincare.com/, Liberty and Space NK ©Aurelia Probiotic Skincare
- By targeting early fine lines and wrinkles, the Multi-Active Night Youth Recovery Cream (£44), by Clarins, suits women between the ages of 25-35 with normal to dry skin. Overnight, it moisturises and helps to firm, as well as smoothening your complexion. Its formula is enriched with dimethicone, shea butter and kiwi fruit extract, yet it also contains fragrance and sulphates. Therefore, we only recommend it for healthy skin types. Available at clarins.co.uk, Harvey Nichols, House of Fraser, John Lewis and Selfridges ©Clarins
- The Resveratrol Cream (£43), by DHC, feels wonderfully moisturising and although thick, it sinks quickly on the skin. As its main ingredient is resveratrol, which is largely found in the skin of red grapes, it is incredibly rich in antioxidants that enhace complexion's resilience, its internal defenses and the synthesis of its own enzymatic antioxidants. Besides resveratrol, it also includes lecithin, castor oil, dimethicone, hydrolyzed collagen, vitamin E and rice extract. Available at dhcuk.co.uk and escentual.com ©DHC
- Goldfaden MD's Wakeup Call Overnight Regenerative Facial Treatment (£75) is a creamy, non-greasy moisturiser that is easily absorbed and gently firms and plumps the skin. It comes in an opaque, sanitary packaging and its formula includes hyaluronic acid, red tea extract, retinol, vitamin E and avocado oil, plus it is silicone-, petrochemicals- and paraben-free. Available at Space NK ©Goldfaden MD
- The Skin Caviar Luxe Cream Sheer (£292), which was recently launched by La Prairie, beautifully lifts, firms, soothes and hydrates the complexion without feeling bulky or leaving it oily. It boasts a silky, yet lightweight texture that sinks effortlessly, and it gives a velvety, shine-free finish. In addition, it smells heavenly, which is actually due to a cutting-edge formula that is packed with dimethicone, hyaluronic acid, lecithin, shea butter and caviar, ginseng, arnica, camellia and salvia extracts. Available from September at laprairie.co.uk, Harrods, Harvey Nichols and Selfridges ©La Prairie
- Powered by frankincense oil, turmeric root extract and gardenia stem cells, the Frankincense Intense Cream (£55), by Neal's Yard Remedies, nourishes, tones and plumps the skin, which feels rapidly smoother. Luxuriously thick, yet effortlessly absorbed, it aids to reduce the appearance of crow's feet, fine lines and wrinkles, as well as unwanted pigmentation. Furthermore, it smells utterly well, plus it does not increase oiliness or leaves residues. Apart from the ingredients mentioned previously, it also contains aloe vera powder, argan oil, sodium hyaluronate and cocoa seed butter. Available at nealsyardremedies.com and all physical stores ©Neal's Yard Remedies
- As it aims, Perricone MD's Hypoallergenic Nourishing Moisturizer (£62) indeed provides deep hydration to the skin. It can be used during the day under makeup or at night, which we prefer as its texture it is pleasantly rich, whereas its scent is ultra relaxing. As it is fragrance-, petrochemicals-, sulphates- and phthalate-free, it might be a great choice for those with sensitive or reactive skin. It is formulated with olive leaf extract, vitamin E and jojoba wax. Available at perriconemd.co.uk, QVC UK, Harrods and Liberty ©Perricone MD
- Superfacialist by Úna Brennan's Rose Hydrate Peaceful Skin Night Cream (£16.99) exquisitely combines hyaluronic acid, shea butter, willow bark extract and vitamin E, plus cucumber and rosehip oils. It boosts skin's hydration and elasticity, which as a result improves the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. It has a lightly creamy texture, almost gel-like, and it boasts a subtly rose fragrance. Additionally, it suits all healthy skin types. Available at superfacialist.co.uk/ and Boots ©Superfacialist by Úna Brennan