THE LIST: MORNING BEAUTY’S TOP 10 BB CREAMS
Multi-tasking products are always welcome, especially if they offer coverage, sun protection and anti-ageing ingredients. BB Creams, for instance, are usually packed with components, such as antioxidants, vitamin C and hyaluronic acid, that until a few years ago we only could find in serums or creams. In fact, BB Creams were originally developed in Germany for patients to use following a laser surgical procedure. Nobody knows exactly how or which brand did it first, but they became hugely popular in South Korea and later throughout Asia.
In 2011, BB Creams, which stand for Blemish or Beauty Balms, hit the United States. Eventually, they also arrived in Europe and in Brazil. Nowadays, BB Creams are as popular in Western countries as they are in Asia and almost every brand, luxury or high street, has its own version. Even though the BB Creams manufactured in South Korea tend to be thicker than those produced in France or Canada, both provide at least sheer coverage, meaning they blur away blemishes as well.
In addition to coverage and concealing, BB Creams generally feature a blend of anti-ageing components, nourishing ingredients, light-reflecting particles and sunscreen. Therefore, they are time-savers. “One of the main reasons to use a BB Cream is because it is quick and easy”, says Rebecca Butterworth, makeup artist for M.A.C Cosmetics. By using a broad-spectrum BB Cream, you can easily skip moisturiser, primer and foundation, plus you won’t need a brush to do it. Rebecca warns though: “If you get warm hands or oily skin, you may want to try a sponge application”.
As finding the right BB Cream for your skin might be a challenge, we reviewed 10 of the best to help you figuring it out. Check out the gallery below:
- Benefit's Big Easy (£28.50) offers sheer coverage, yet it evens out the skin and covers up blemishes, dark circles and redness. It delivers a demi-matte, velvety finish that works brilliantly for those with combination or oily skin. Actually, as it claims, it controls complexion's oiliness and keeps it hydrated throughout the day. Furthermore, it provides broad-spectrum sun protection with SPF 35 PA+++. Available in six shades at benefitcosmetics.co.uk, Boots, Harvey Nichols and John Lewis ©Benefit
- Unlike most BB Creams, Cover FX's BB Gel Mattifying Anti-Blemish Treatment (£35) sports a gel-like texture that feels moisturising and meshes really well with the skin. It conceals and treats blemishes as it is enriched with thyme extract, salicylic acid, phytosphingosine and bisabolol, ingredients that are known to help reducing acne and redness. It gives a matte, yet natural-looking finish and a medium coverage. Due to its texture, it is recommended for combination and oily skin, as well as for those with breakout-prone skin. Despite of all mentioned benefits, it does not provide sun protection, so you should use it with a sunscreen or a broad-spectrum moisturiser. Available in 10 shades at Harvey Nichols ©Cover FX
- The DiorSkin Nude BB Crème (£32) by Dior, boasts a creamy texture that blends into a healthy-looking matte finish, which works especially well for those with combination and oily skin. It delivers a sheer, yet buildable coverage that lightly conceals blemishes, dark circles and redness, leaving the skin soothed and perkier. Although it contains titanium dioxide as an active ingredient, it sports low SPF rating (SPF 10 PA+), meaning you should you use it with sunscreen or a broad-spectrum moisturiser. Available in three shades at Boots, Debenhams, House of Fraser, John Lewis and Selfridges ©Dior
- The Double Wear All-Day Glow BB Moisture Makeup SPF 30 (£30), by Estée Lauder, effortlessly hands over a luminous, natural-looking finish that lasts for whooping 6-8 hours. It gives a sheer to medium coverage, plus it perfects complexion's texture and covers up blemishes, dark circles and redness. Fragrance and oil-free, it grants broad-spectrum sun protection with SPF 30. Available in eight shades at esteelauder.co.uk, Boots, Debenhams, John Lewis, House of Frase and Selfridges ©John Lewis
- Givenchy's Hydra Sparkling Nude Look BB Cream (£29) is utterly moisturising and quickly melts away on the skin, which is left evened out and brightened. It delivers a sheer coverage and a dewy, healthy-looking finish that suits best those with dry skin. It includes titanium dioxide in its formula, which means it provides broad-spectrum sun protection (SPF 30 PA++). Available in two shades at House of Fraser, Debenhams and Harrods ©Givenchy
- La Roche-Posay's Anthelios XL SPF 50+ Tinted BB Cream (£16.50) unifies, lightens up and protects the skin. It grants a dewy, healthy-looking finish and a sheer coverage that can be worn by itself or underneath foundation. Texture-wise, it is utterly creamy and non-greasy, which helps to keep oiliness away and complexion's hydration. It features broad-spectrum sun protection, and its formula is water-resistant, fragrance and paraben-free. Available at Boots, it comes in a single shade that adaps to (almost) every skin tone ©La Roche-Posay
- The Prep + Prime BB Beauty Balm SPF 35 (£25), by M.A.C Cosmetics, is exquisitely packed with antioxidants that treat the skin while offering a velvety, demi-matte finish that suits all healthy skin types. Boasting a sheer coverage, it might be used by itself or as a base for foundation. Either way, it blurs away blemishes and dark circles, plus it brightens and hydrates the complexion. Its fragrance-free formula contains a blend of chemical and physical filters (octinoxate, octisalate, oxybenzone and titanium dioxide) for broad-spectrum sun protection with SPF 35. Available in 12 shades at maccosmetics.co.uk, Fenwick and Selfridges ©M.A.C Cosmetics
- Revlon's PhotoReady BB Cream Skin Perfector SPF 30 (£9.99) blends amazingly well and grants the skin a dewy, natural-looking finish that is ideal for those with dry to normal skin. It sports a sheer to medium coverage, which conceals dark spots and redness, plus it keeps complexion's moisture levels balanced. Budget-friendly, it is formulated with chemical and physical filters for broad-spectrum sun protection. Furthermore, it does not contain synthetic fragrances. Available in two shades at Boots and Superdrug ©Revlon
- The Camera Ready BB Cream SPF 35 (£27), by Smashbox, beautifully glides on the skin and conceals blemishes and dark circles, plus it blurs away fine lines and enlarged pores. It gives a sheer, yet buildable coverage that settles down into a silky, demi-matte finish. Its fragrance-free formula is enriched with dimethicone, lecithin and sodium hyaluronate, plus cucumber, wheat, barley and apple extracts. By blending oxybenzone, titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, it offers broad-spectrum sun protection with SPF 35. Available at smashbox.co.uk and Boots ©Smashbox
- Vichy's Idéal Soleil Tinted Velvety BB Cream SPF 50+ (£15.50) perfects the skin by correcting red and yellow hues as well as minimising blemishes and dark circles. It glides on with ease and gives a silky, yet luscious finish, plus it protects from the ageing UVA and UVB sun rays. Even though it has sheer coverage, skin looks instantly plumper thanks to the sodium hyaluronate in its paraben-free formula. Additionally, it is water resistant. Available at Boots ©Vichy