RECIPE OF THE WEEK: PORTUGUESE-STYLE COD WITH OLIVES, PEPPERS AND POTATOES
Extremely easy to be made, this Portuguese-style cod with black olives, red peppers and potatoes is comforting and perfect for any occasion. The cod is a rich protein, while olive oil is a healthy fat with several benefits (i.g., reduction of risk factors of coronary heart disease). It also delivers large amounts of plant-derived antioxidants and vitamins, especially E and K. Although potatoes are high on sugar and starch, they are balanced by the latter ingredients, plus they carry medium levels of potassium and vitamins C and B6.
INGREDIENTS (serves 3-4)
2 large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
1 red pepper, finely sliced
1 tomato, roughly sliced
15g black olives
4 tbsp, extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp dried garlic
400g dry shredded cod (boneless and skinless)
3 eggs, hard-boiled
Dried parsley and black pepper
1. Soak the cod in cold water for two to four hours. Set aside.
2. Pre-heat the oven. Over the bottom of a medium casserole dish, spread one layer of potatoes with 1 tbsp olive oil.
3. Add the cod and another layer of potatoes. On top, place the pepper and the tomato. Add the garlic and 2 tbsp left of olive oil.
4. Cover the casserole dish with a foil and place it in the oven at medium heat for 40-60 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
5. Garnish with olives, dried parsley and eggs and serve.