RECIPE OF THE WEEK: PERUVIAN CEVICHERECEITA DA SEMANA: CEVICHE PERUANO
The Peruvian ceviche is a delicious and healthy meal. It contains high levels of protein as its main ingredient is fish, and it has plently of colourful vegetables as well, such as lime, coriander, red onions, and orange and red bell peppers. The sweet potato, also included in the recipe, is a complex carbohydrate, which means it’s rich in fiber and it gives our body prolonged energy as it takes longer to digest than simple sugars.
Also spelled as cebiche or seviche, the ceviche is very popular in Latin America, and various countries have their own variation. A ceviche made in Ecuador, for example, has different ingredients than a ceviche prepared in Peru or in Chile. We chose the Peruvian version due to its mentioned nutritional properties and its amazing taste. Our suggestion is to serve the ceviche immediately after marinated, and alongside a glass of white wine, ideally zesty or refreshing (Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc).
INGREDIENTS (SERVES 2)
100g sweet potato
20g coriander, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
5mm ginger, roughly chopped
1 red onion, sliced in half rings
2 peppers, assorted colors, chopped finely
1. Squeeze the juice of 8 limes and mix it in the bowl with the coriander, garlic and ginger. Set aside for 10 minutes.
2. Dice the sweet potato and boil it until cooked. Cool in cold water.
3. After slice the red onion, put it in a bowl with cold water for 5 minutes. Pass the marinade through a sieve to remove the coriander, garlic and ginger. Set the coriander, garlic and ginger aside.
4. Cut the seabass into strips, add salt and mix to the marinade. Let it sit for 12-15 minutes.
5. Pass the marinated sea bass through a stride and add the sweet potato, red onions, peppers, coriander, garlic and ginger. Serve immediately.